Monday, January 16, 2012

Golden Globes

So I am a person who watches these type of award shows every single year and get disappointed every single year because the people I don't vote for always seem to win. However it seems that my luck has somewhat changed this year after The People's Choice Awards considering during that award show the two things that I wanted to see win for the categories of Favorite Movie (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows pt.2) and Favorite New TV Drama (Person of Interest) won. For me that was a new record, I think I probably voted 20 or so times just so things that I didn't like didn't win- because everyone knows 20 votes goes a long way!!! =P

Now take into account the Golden Globes, personally I despised it last year and thought Ricky Gervais was incredibly mean and unfunny. Luckily he toned it down this year, making his jokes a bit less mean spirited and he was barely shown throughout the rest of the night which I enjoyed.
Incase you haven't seen the winners yet because you are living under a rock, here they are (thank you http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57359547-10391698/golden-globes-2012-list-of-winners/)
MOTION PICTURES
  • Picture, Drama: "The Descendants."
  • Picture, Musical or Comedy: "The Artist."
  • Actor, Drama: George Clooney, "The Descendants."
  • Actress, Drama: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady."
  • Director: Martin Scorsese, "Hugo."
  • Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist."
  • Actress, Musical or Comedy: Michelle Williams, "My Week with Marilyn."
  • Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners."
  • Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help."
  • Foreign Language: "A Separation."
  • Animated Film: "The Adventures of Tintin."
  • Screenplay: Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris."
  • Original Score: Ludovic Bource, "The Artist."
  • Original Song: "Masterpiece" (music and lyrics by Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry), "W.E."
TELEVISION
  • Series, Drama: "Homeland," Showtime.
  • Series, Musical or Comedy: "Modern Family," ABC.
  • Actor, Drama: Kelsey Grammer, "Boss."
  • Actress, Drama: Claire Danes, "Homeland."
  • Actress, Musical or Comedy: Laura Dern, "Enlightened."
  • Actor, Musical or Comedy: Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes."
  • Miniseries or Movie: "Downton Abbey (Masterpiece)," PBS.
  • Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Kate Winslet, "Mildred Pierce."
  • Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Idris Elba, "Luther."
  • Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story."
  • Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones."
PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED
  • Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award: Morgan Freeman.

I was happy about most of these wins. I absolutely adore Downton Abbey and cannot wait until the rumored third season. However I wish more of the cast was there to accept the award. I just saw on a news program that Elizabeth McGovern tripped on stage but I'm going to assume that she was ok considering I didn't even notice her falling until it was brought to my attention.

 I am also really happy about Meryl Streep winning for best actress in a drama because she is an inspiration of mine and she acted like she was so surprised about recieveing the award. I keep seeing stupid people on the internet saying that she's an "ungracious and unclassy bitch" because she didn't thank Margaret Thatcher. Not once in my life have I ever seen Meryl Streep act bitchy to someone unless she is portraying a character. And not once have I ever seen her be ungracious. Then again these are the people who relate The Golden Globes to politics. But either way, how about we never diss Meryl Streep ever again unless we want to lose all of our teeth. She is atleast capable of putting on a flawless fake British accent! (take note Madonna.)

As for the other awards I really liked, Morgan Freeman is a given considering everything he is in is automatically going to be fantastic. Sidney Portier and Helen Mirren gave him the award which he was uber thankful for and gave a fantastic speech. Helen Mirren stated beforehand that she had a few glasses and wants to be in another movie with Morgan. Apparently "There's no reason Miss Daisy couldn't have been English." I swear if Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep were in a movie together it would be a hit.

Peter Dinklage won for A Game of Thrones which I must say is a great series based on the novels by George R.R. Martin which are great as well. His acceptance speech was unrehearsed but he get's points for mentioning Martin Henderson who was paralyzed by a dwarf tossing. =(

Kate Winslet was another one of my favorite wins despite the fact that I was rooting for both her and Elizabeth McGovern. I was a bit upset when Jessica Lange beat out Maggie Smith for American Horror Story but just because the show looks good I'm going to let it go this time. Kelsey Grammar was also very gracious during his acceptance speech and I've been a fan of his since Frasier.

The Artist won three awards and I now feel strongly obligated to go to the movie theater and see a silent film in 2012. The rest of the awards I could really care less about.


Now for the fashion at the Golden Globes, Nicole Kidman hands down get's best dressed for me, wearing Versace.
 0112-best-dressed-golden-globes-2012-nicole-kidman_fa.jpg

People keep saying Evan Rachel Wood is one of the worst dressed but at the before the awards she told everyone she loved her gown by Gucci and because of that confidence I love it too.


0112-best-dressed-golden-globes-2012-evan-rachel-wood-fa.jpg


Emma Stone seemed to love her Lanvin dress as well. If you love your dress and don't care what people say about it, you get props.
0112-best-dressed-golden-globes-2012-emma-stone_fa.jpg
Elle Macpherson's gown was terrible in every way and when she was presenting it looked like she was having trouble walking in it.

0112-best-dressed-golden-globes-2012-elle-macpherson-zac-posen-fa.jpg
However to me, Lea Michele had to be the worst dressed of the night.

That's pretty much it. Hopefully next year's Golden Globes will be just as good, if not better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : ) They really mean a lot to me and I promise to reply if you follow the following rules:

1. No name calling or rudeness or bashing towards me or others.
2. No unnecessary criticism.
3. No plagiarism of anything I write.
4. No idiocy.

Have a great day! =)