Friday, September 6, 2013

Let's Steal Some Songs!

Or not. Why is every singer and their brother stealing songs in this day and age? Or I'm sorry, "covering" a song sung by some old 60s/70s/80s/90s/ early 00's singer/group. Write your own lyrics you thieving people!
I was flipping channels today when this song came on Disney;
Now don't get me wrong, I actually like this song. I even watched the movie and thought it was kind of cute. What's not cute is the fact that they say this song was written FOR THIS MOVIE when I remember the same damn song from years ago.
Yeah. Her cd came out in 2000 and I remember the first cd I ever received after the Spice Girls was her single of Another Dumb Blonde. The song isn't that old! What the heck?


Then there's this;
It says this is a cover. Well it's a terrible cover!

This is the original. Which I find 100 times better than Jai Paul's version for I can understand what she's singing.

Other terrible covers:

Funkytown covered by Pseduo Echo. Originally sung by Lipps Inc.

Taxman covered by Rockwell. Originally sung by The Beatles. Yes The Beatles were wonderful and this isn't a complete disaster but I'm tired of people trying to cover their songs. You will never be as good as them. Ever. Stop.

An even worse version of a song by The Beatles covered by Big Time Rush, who are actually a good band -but they are not The Beatles.


This is Halloween covered by Marilyn Manson. Love the song and respect the guy, just not this remake of the Burton/Disney movie classic.

Don't Stop Believing covered by the Glee cast. Originally sung by Journey. I have never seen Glee but the song was good maybe the first and second times I heard it, then it got annoying. It is so annoying that it continues to annoy me because it still continues to play. I am posting Journey's version of the song because that is the one you should be listening to.

I'm Eighteen covered by Creed. Originally sung by Alice Cooper. I found this to be a really bad cover of a really good song. 

These Boots Are Made For Walking covered by Jessica Simpson. Originally sung by Nancy Sinatra. This song sucks either way but Simpson took it to a new level. A level which should have just stayed on the ground floor. She  oversexualized this song when there was no need to do so.

Now don't get me wrong I enjoy some covers of songs. For example this;

Big Yellow Taxi covered by the Counting Crows featuring Vanessa Carlton. A lot of people dislike this version and prefer Joni Mitchell's but to be fair I wasn't even aware this was a song sung by Joni Mitchell until they covered it and I like it only a little better.



Lady Marmalade covered by Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, and Pink. Originally sung by Patti LaBelle. I thought it was a great cover and although I wasn't a huge fan of Moulin Rouge all of the music in the film was wonderful.


Jolene covered by Mindy Smith. Originally written and sung by Dolly Parton. Dolly Parton is even in the music video. Mindy Smith was, and still is, fantastically talented.


A Great Song Done and Covered by Great People:

Original: I Will Always Love You- Dolly Parton
Cover: I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston


Any other covers bad (or good) I didn't mention please write down in the comments below.  Thank you and have a nice day! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : ) They really mean a lot to me and I promise to reply if you follow the following rules:

1. No name calling or rudeness or bashing towards me or others.
2. No unnecessary criticism.
3. No plagiarism of anything I write.
4. No idiocy.

Have a great day! =)