Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blips of Rehearsals

1ST Rehearsal

I do believe that I am going to like this cast.
Tonight we all sat down around the table and introduced ourselves and were able to read half of the script. Me and the stage manager read the stage instructions, I made them sound incredibly evil. But it was fun. Everyone spoke in a British accent so of course I enjoyed it.

2nd Rehearsal
I was actually able to read for one of the characters because she came down with a case of bronchitis  I feel really bad for her but in the end I was just happy to be able to read the lines and not the stage directions.  The director was not there tonight but the cast kept saying the I was a great >insert characters name here.<

3rd Rehearsal
The girl who had bronchitis showed up last night. I'm actually glad shes feeling better. Shes really sweet and has cool shoes. As for a not so sweet person, this guy was in the last musical I was in here at college. It said to ask him or another guy about joining a theatre group, so I asked him if I could join. He tells me, and I quote "The theatre company is for actors, you're just an UNDERSTUDY" well then...

5th Rehearsal
Me and the dude understudy went downstairs and found a lot of the props for the production. It is going to be sweeet. I also found a really convenient book for the show which ties in with one of the characters back stories  Granted, no one will probably even see the book but I'LL KNOW IT'S THERE.

8th Rehearsal
Sat around for over two hours and watched everyone rehearse. Tonight it was more nerve racking than usual, maybe because I was the only one not on stage and my partner in crime wasn't there and I wasn't able to talk to anyone. I overheard one guy stating that he has no intention of memorizing his lines. If you say stuff like that you need to SIT DOWN. I already have all of the lead female character's lines down. Overall it was just a bad rehearsal day for me.

13th Rehearsal
 I saw my literature teacher today who I had last semester. I have to say that I love having her support when it comes to the acting field, she is just overall a great person. She was surprised that I didn't get into the play and was only an understudy but she said that she was seeing the show all the same because I have something to do with it. =P 
A girl on twitter told me to watch a movie titled "All About Eve." It is a great film and definetley shows how low some understudies can go just to get the lead.
I had to help people practice lines during rehearsal today. I think they're getting them down. But to everyone in the theatre world I would just like to say that the memorization of lines is crucial for a production to be successful.

October 3- I'm not sure what number this is.
I have been sick for a few days so of course tonight the lady I auditioned for doesn't show up. I got to read for her though and do the blocking and I had a ton of fun doing that. The cool guy who's name I didn't remember when the cast list was posted told me that I brought something to the role that the girl playing her didn't. The director also said I did good. Praise makes me feel lovely!!!

October 4
Helped people with their line memorization. One guy rapped one of his lines to remember it. I found that hilarious. I also learned that only 3 of us did not go to the same high school as the rest of the people cast. 

October 5
Helped the guy with his lines who really needed it. I had to have a heart to heart with him (the same guy who stated that he had no intention of learning his lines) and found out that he would rather play with necklaces and ka-knives instead of practicing. Same dude also found it neat-o-riffic to change the words to some of his lines because "He is not feeling the sentence." I told him that doing that was not wise and if he was really going to do that he needs to talk to the actors who get their cues from him. Also "Not feeling the sentence." What kind of bullshit is that?!?!? Then these other BISCUITS want to interrupt this guy and I'm just like NO. HE NEEDS TO GET HIS LINES DOWN! But they don't care and just want him to"look at this funny picture!" And the guy actually encourages them to interrupt. WHY DO I EVEN TRY? 

October 6
The other understudy was not there today. =( But I DID learn that the guy who has none of his lines down quit one of the college's plays 3 days before to work at a haunted pumpkin patch. Good God. WHAT A STORY I WILL HAVE TO TELL MR. UNDERSTUDY. 

October 7
Guy who has nothing memorized is starting to work my last nerve. I have been trying and trying and trying my best to get him to learn his lines but NOTHING IS WORKING! Maybe I'm just a failure. Today he went on stage and is like OH NO! I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO LOOK OVER MY LINES BECAUSE I'VE BEEN BUSY! I should bloody kill you! NOBODY CARES! Just call out line if you do not know them! Another reason to call out line; if it takes you more than a minute to think of it! You are wasting precious time young Jar Jar Binks!  I am also sure that the stage manager did not enjoy you telling him "Please don't tell me my lines unless I call out line. It distracts me." IF IT TAKES YOU 100,000,000 MINUTES FOR YOU TO THINK OF YOUR LINE YOU NEED TO EITHER MEMORIZE THESE LINES MORE THOROUGHLY OR SIT DOWN!!! 

Oct 11
Found out that the guy understudy took over one of my understudy characters' parts while I was in Chicago. I don't show up two days and this is what happens. The character barely had any lines those two days.Then this guy asks me to run the female characters lines with him. No. I am beyond mad about this and am so confused it is unreal. Well at first I was mad. Then I was sad when I found out that yeah, he will be stealing this character if the girl doesn't show up or can't go on. Now I'm just mad again. I really hope this girl shows up everyday because I don't think I can handle having him play this part. This FEMALE part. I am a FEMALE and I have had this parts down for months. I guess I am just really hurt about this. What's worse is that the director didn't even tell me, I had to find out from 5 members of the cast. I actually left today in tears. 

October 12
Pretty much had a psychiatric breakdown when I got home after rehearsal today. I deserve to have one once a year, this was the day. The guy understudy starting freaking out earlier because the girl he's now understudying for wasn't there and the director apparently does want him to fill in for her. It wasn't a rumor like I had hoped. I am sad. I guess it wouldn't hurt me so much if it didn't feel like the director thought I wasn't good enough. 

October 13
FINAL DAYS OF REHEARSAL. I got to read the lines to the cast. The guy understudy left early today. Mr. Pumpkin Patch  started getting snippy with me when I gave him his lines. DON'T BE GETTING SNIPPY WITH ME YOUNG FELLOW! Next time I am going to give you a line about a hippopotamus on a balloon ride to Paris if you keep snipping! 

October 15
2nd to last day of rehearsal. I think that I may be a little glad when this is over with, I am kind of tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over again. The cast is great don't get me wrong, but the repetitiveness can be a bit tiresome after awhile. I also learned that I will be the 'quick changer' and basically the backstage put-the-props-away-on-the-table girl. 

October 16
Learned today that I get to do something really cool in costume for the play. The costume guy (who tends to be a bit bipolar during tech week) found this beautiful fur coat and Rose- from Titanicish dress for me to wear. When he brought those two items to the dressing room I thought it was the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen and was going to be uber jealous of the person who got to wear it. I'M THE ONE WEARING IT! EEEEE!!! Good news!!!! Basically what me and Mr. understudy are going to do is talk to people in the lobby  in a 1930s/50s British-improv type fashion. It is going to be so much fun! Joyous day!

October 17
Me and Mr. Understudy get to jump out of a window for bows. That's what's up. I think everyone will do fantastically tomorrow. By the way, Mr. Pumpkin Patch, you kind of need to remember your prop aka your weapon. IT IS NOT SCARY TO FINGER GUN ANOTHER PERSON! He also got snippy with me again tonight telling me that I need to make sure that "the newspaper is in his coat" I responded like so;

I asked the stage manager if it was, he told me that I am not the prop bitch. Lol. Hugs to the stage manager! But honestly, despite the headaches, I am proud of Mr. Pumpkin Patch, he has 95% of his lines down and I know that it must have been hard for him. 

October 18
THE DAY HAS COME! Tonight was a lot of fun, learning the skills of improv and talking to people was crazy fun. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the show and overall I am glad to hear it. Apparently it was the biggest audience we've had in the college's history. SUCCESS! 

October 19
Everyone did super great today. However our mic girl didn't show up so Mr. Understudy took over her job after we spoke to people before the show. I was running all over the place backstage tonight. I had to throw snow maniacally, quick change people, hang up coats, run back and forth for certain scenes and to get people certain props. It was exhausting but I felt a sort of accomplishment at the end. 

October 20
Thought that we did fantastic at improv tonight. I was really feeling the whole crazy British wife character. Again, the cast did splendid and it is setting in now that I am really going to miss them. =( The lead female character actually had Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody playing in the dressing room today and of course that is always a great song to jam to! =P

October 21
THEEEEEEEE ENNNND. THE SONNNNG WRITERS DEEEAAAD. Ok, today was the end of the play. Sad times. I actually saw a ton of people I knew at the matinee today and was overall just excited. The costume guy was also there at today's matinee.He screwed up my groove when I was supposed to be doing my JOB by being snippy about proper coat etiquette and how one should hang certain coats on certain hangers. I understand costume guy, but if at all possible, please tell me this AFTER I hand the girls prop to her who needs to be back on stage in 2 seconds. Thank you. Costume guy was ok after that though. Everyone did amazing during the last performance and overall this was just an experience that I am proud to say I was a part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : ) They really mean a lot to me and I promise to reply if you follow the following rules:

1. No name calling or rudeness or bashing towards me or others.
2. No unnecessary criticism.
3. No plagiarism of anything I write.
4. No idiocy.

Have a great day! =)