Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Favorite Halloween Movies

Happy Day Before Halloween Everybody!

For a blog post I thought that I should incorporate what some of my all time favorite scary/thriller movies are for this time of the year! Granted, they will not be in any order, these are just some of my favorites.

HALLOWEEN

Story time: My grandmother made me watch the first Halloween movie when I was 8. It scared me to death when the knife went missing from the kitchen. I have watched all 8 since then and let me just say that if you watch 2007 you are wasting an hour or so of your life. Because of my crazy grandmother I don't find many horror films horrotastic today so I guess I should thank her for introducing me to Michael.


I Know What You Did Last Summer

Technically this is the first horror movie I have ever seen and gotten through. One of my friends said it scared her to no end so of course I had to check it out. Absolutely loved it. I also really liked the sequal, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

Night of the Living Dead

"They're coming to get you Barbara." My all time favorite horror movie hands down. The 1968 version in black and white.

Sleepy Hollow

Tim Burton. Johnny Depp. Headless horseman. Beautiful costumes. Windmill on fire. I watch this movie every year. I actually wanted to go to the theatre at the time and see it but I was only 8 years of age at the time and because it was rated R that was a no go for me.

The Haunted Palace

My all time favorite Vincent Price film which I think should be considered a classic. If you like Price then I  also recommend House on Haunted Hill, House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Masque of Red Death.

13 Ghosts

Fantastic movie if you are into old school terrors. This is the 1960 version. The 2001 version irritates me. Basically most movie remakes irritate me. One of the surprises I had while watching this was that Margaret Hamilton (aka Wicked Witch of the West) co-stars in it.

Classic Alfred Hitchcock movies- The Birds and Psycho
Both are classics. Hitchcock in general is a classic.

An American Werewolf in London

Saw this on a plane trip to Minnesota. I thought the movie was quite clever. This is what a werewolf is, if you use Taylor Lautner as your werewolf reference you automatically fail.

Dracula (1931)

I really do not think any movie adaptation can compare with the book, they all are pale in comparison. However Lugosi IS the real life image of Dracula.

Scream

Classic and wonderful movie. The biggest movie star is killed off in the first ten minutes, the audience has to expect that anything might happen. 

Nosferatu

This was one of the first silent movies I have ever seen. I think that it is an absolute classic.

Shadow of the Vampire

This movie is a fictionalized account based on the making of Nosferatu. When I first heard about the film I wasn't expecting much but I definetley think that it is worth a watch if you are into vampires/filimg/ or Nosferatu.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

One of my all time favorites. It is a silent film but this is a movie which I would depict as the one that started the entire horror genre.

My favorite not really scary but still great Halloween movies;

Hocus Pocus

This is a Halloween movie that I have to see every year or someone's child will go missing.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

I think that everyone and their mother have seen this. If you have not then please come out from under the rock you are living.
The Nightmare Before Christmas

When I was a kid I was not able to get through this film.Now I could watch it every single day and be happy.  I would recommend this movie to kids 8 and over.

The Corpse Bride

This is not only one of my favorite Halloween movies, but it is one of my favorite animated films in general. Great artwork and great voice cast.



I have probably forgotten quite a few on my list and will curse myself later for forgetting. Question of the day; what are some of your favorite Halloween movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : ) They really mean a lot to me and I promise to reply if you follow the following rules:

1. No name calling or rudeness or bashing towards me or others.
2. No unnecessary criticism.
3. No plagiarism of anything I write.
4. No idiocy.

Have a great day! =)