Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Casting People Who Don't Audition

I have been really sucking at keeping this blog updated. Part of it is because I've been really busy and part of it is because I've been writing everything down in a paper notebook for the past few months or so. But for some reason today I thought "Hey, I haven't blogged in awhile. Let's do that!" So here I am again.

Anyways, let the record show that today was a truly terrible day for me. I auditioned for a play this week. It was supposed to only be a one day thing but because some asses from a different theatre in the town couldn't  audition on the day scheduled the process was a two day thing. And it was Shakespeare mixed with a current movie theme. I love me some Shakespeare and movies are pretty cool so I was just excited and happy to audition. Only about 6 people showed up the first day, the the second day three of us from the previous day showed up unknowing that it was to be another audition day and besides us three only three other people showed up. All in all 9 people auditioned, not including me, so 10 in total.

This director emails us the cast list today and let's just say that seven of the ten people cast DIDN'T EVEN AUDITION. WTF is that all about?!?!? And then they give me a role with TWO BLOODY LINES. I am not picky about which roles I get, as an actor who hasn't seen the stage for a few years you can't be picky, but if I am driving 25 minutes to this college IN NOVEMBER IN THE SNOW then it better be worth my time. Two lines are not worth my time and I am going to have to pass on this.

Then to make me feel even more special about my role, sir director made a little side note that said that anyone without an asterisk next to their name (which was only me and two other people) wouldn't be needed until 1 pm on the rehearsal dates while all the other cast gets to come in and read stuff and rehearse at  10 am. Nothing brings a cast closer together than separating them then adding some random two liner people in at a 30 minute rehearsal. X_X



Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I think I'm mostly irritated by the fact that people who didn't even audition got roles. I question that so much and makes me truly hate the production and the people who didn't audition and the director for even thinking this was a good idea. Thus why I'm passing on performing in this. I mean, if the director called me and was like "Hey, would you like this role for a play you didn't even audition for?" I would probably hesitatingly take it. But that's not what happened in this case and honestly I'm glad it didn't and I hope it never does. I would never feel right about taking a role I didn't even audition for and the guilt would eat me up inside. Yes, having someone think you are great and reliable as an actor is wonderful, but there should be some rules layed out, rules such as YOU HAVE TO AUDITION TO GET A FREAKING ROLE!

I have a question about this entire thing. Is this the norm in other places, to cast people who didn't even audition? Because I am getting fed up with it. It's seems to have happened/is happening a lot near my area and it seems hokey to me. But maybe that is how it works in places like Chicago and New York and I'm only now coming to a discovery about what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments : ) They really mean a lot to me and I promise to reply if you follow the following rules:

1. No name calling or rudeness or bashing towards me or others.
2. No unnecessary criticism.
3. No plagiarism of anything I write.
4. No idiocy.

Have a great day! =)